Well, just call me Mr. Plumbum. Last night I put in the new tap in the bathroom upstairs. I have to say I’m quite proud of my performance. I did pretty good if I do say so myself. It’s awesome to have a tap that doesn’t take 10 minutes to fill up the sink, and another 20 to drain. Then I topped off the evening by coming downstairs and removing the airator in the tap down here and then taking out the one screen which was clogged with calcium. So now all of our taps are functional and the little leak upstairs is gone now too. Next on the plumbing list is to build the dishwasher into the counter so that we can put in the new kitchen tap. For that I’ll the help of Mr. Plumbum Sr. though. The concept of cutting into pipes that you’re going to keep is foreign to me.
Tonight I have a ton of work to do, but I’m in the mood for it. I’m going to make a new FreeBSD server that runs samba so that we can log into it here and have a shared file directory where I can dump all my pictures and put all the mp3s. Each of the computers here has a pretty decent set of speakers hooked up to it, so we have to have something to play on them and being able to get at the thousands of pictures that we’re taking is pretty important. Then the next step in the samba process is to set it up so that there’s a subdomain of this domain at the office, if I can accomplish it, I’ll be able to set up servers like this for a lot of my existing customers that are looking for a low cost alternative to Windows servers. If you can save $3000 on the software, that’s $3000 more that you could put into the hardware and have a much more reliable server with more space to spread your files out on.
I’m also working on the Access database for membership that we keep at the office. It got corrupted and I can’t seem to import the data into the original table so I have to take the data and properly name and format it. It’s a royal pain, but it’ll be something to do while I wait for FreeBSD 5.2.1 to install and re-build the kernel.