I built my first real FreeBSD 5.3 box overnight. I must say I am overall quite impressed so far. I got hung up this morning with it not allowing me to boot it up without having something in the secondary slave IDE position, so I dug out a massive four (4) gigabyte disk and put it on there. Booted up first try. This machine exists because I want to move to FreeBSD 5.3 once it’s stable and all of the hardware I use has supported modules for it. So the first thing I did was fill it full of network cards. I have two intels, (fxp) and a crappy ed one and one Dlink DGE-510T which isn’t supported by FreeBSD. So I loaded up a bunch of stuff, got it routing just right, and then I just ran the following commands to use the new ndis wrapper to get that Dlink Card working…

# cd /sys/modules/ndis

# make; make load

# cd /sys/modules/if_ndis

# ndiscvt -i /root/dge/netdl2x.inf -s /root/dge/dl2xd50.sys -o ndis_driver_data.h

# make; make load

     Sure enough, it worked first try! I don’t think I’ve ever had that happen. I’ve plugged it in and am working off of it, now, so I know it works. The next step will be to see how well it works in a production environment I guess. Also, I’ll have to figure out how to make it appear on boot up. I’m not sure it does right now.

Author: Ian

Share This Post On

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *